Saturday, January 30, 2010

Going Back

When you move away from home, there always remains some nostalgia for the places where your favorite food memories reside. The same goes for your favorite places to grub in college, or your favorite cheap eats in grad school, etcetera.
The above picture is me, my college roommate Dan (back in Provo from med school, and a friend of his) eating at Cafe Rio. I like to call it Cafe River, but that's just me. Dan was able to make a quiet quick trip back to the place where we both went to college, and looked me up, and where did we eat? Cafe River.
If you peruse the facebook group 'You know you're from El Paso if.....' you'll soon come to a line about "You know you're from El Paso if the first place you eat at when you get back is Chico's Taco's."
This fine culinary masterpiece you see Heather enjoying is the real deal-Chico's Taco's. To learn more about this place, go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zosJA_FGDAY, or or just Google the term. I can't believe this place actually made the Food Networks 'Best Thing I Ever Ate With my Hands," but there you go. Would'ya believe after five years of marriage and numerous trips to El Paso, I realized I had never taken Heather to eat there. That situation has been remedied, and let me tell you, they were as good as I remembered.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.....deep fried crunchy tacos swimming in sauce and topped with the cheapest yellow cheap cheese very little money can buy-there's nothing else like it.
Come'on, you know you want some.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I can't believe it made "Ate with my hands" either? Does it count if you SHOULD eat it with a fork?