Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Binky Wars; Jack 1, Parental units 0

First of all, lets introduce the combatants. On one side, you have the binky(s). Made of colorful plastic, weighing in at a few ounces.
On the other side, you have Heather, tall blue-eyed-brunette, weighing in at, hey honey, how much do you weigh? Never mind, I found your driver's license. Let's see, hear we go-looks like-130. Yeah, that sounds about right.
The Conflict; Heather hates the binky. What it ever did to her I may never understand. I kinda don't care one way or the other, or I thought I didn't, until she put Operation Kill The Binkies into effect.
You see, Jack did not take well to no binky. Heather heard from a friend about how she did it. I guess this friend kept talking to her munchkin about how he was a big boy, and he didn't need it, etc. Finally, one day, on a drive in her mommy wagon, she asked the kid if he was ready for the Big Step. The kid said, "Well yes, Mother, yes I am (or something like that)." So she rolled down the window and the kid chucked his binky right out and never asked for it again. AMAZING. So Heather was heck bent on doing the same thing for Jack. She talked up what a big boy he was and yada yada yada. Garbage day, the binkies went into a bag and Jack chucked them into a garbage bin, and they watched as a garbage truck hauled them away. Except he started crying right after and saying "My binky, MY BINKY!"
Hmmm........experiment fail.
We lasted about a good week, wherein the Jack-Attack learned new tricks like stalling (go potty, change-a diaper, more milk, rinse, repeat), and crying in his pillow. Result, heartbreak. Really, it was me that finally caved. I went and bought my almost-3 yo boy a new set of binkies. (PS, they don't come in that age group, they stop at 18 months-I guess that's when commercially its the acceptable age for breaking the vicious binky cycle).
We'll see how round two goes. Heather just hopes she doesn't have a teenager binky problem.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I gotta say, I am siding with Heather on this one. Better than fingers, but not so great.

Laurel Criddle said...

Wha ha ha ha this makes me laugh! Only because we understand! What ended up working for us was to cut off the nipple and just leave a nub and he couldnt suck anymore and was sad and just gave up because it was broken. Sadddd...but funny! That Jack is a stud though. Girls will still date him at 16 even if he has a binky attached to his shirt.

Sox said...

My DH took the initiative and committed the Great Binky Theft. Two days of crying at bedtime. Blanket didn't even want it later. Mac may be a whole different story. Also, you can have the binky fairy come and take them away and bring some cool toy instead (make sure Jack is on board before the fairy comes) see landersons blog link on my blog for that story. Or, have Jack "give" his binky to his favorite neighbor baby. Then he thinks he is doing a good thing for the baby and he is happy to give them away. Just thoughts.

You could always wait until he is potty trained to get rid of them. I'm not sure Heather wants to wait that long.