Monday, January 5, 2009

Little damn fool selves, or PRESSURE!

You've got that crazy look in your eye!
There’s this parenting magazine that Heather gets that had this really funny piece about what life is like with a toddler. The editor of the magazine was complaining to her mom that all she seemed to do was try and keep her kid safe; to which the mom replied, “Yes, that’s what you have to do-keep their little damn fool selves from killing themselves.” I can totally agree. I notice that there is this tension in my body that comes from ‘constant vigil.’ We were at this restaurant, the China Lily in Lindon, (the walnut jumbo shrimp were out of this world) and I noticed that there was a tension in my body that never went away, at least until bedtime. Now, that comfort in my life has dwindled as well. Just last week, I commented to some friends about that magical time of night when I could stop locking my garbage can, because Jack was in his bed for sleep. Well, Jack has learned to climb out of his crib. I feel like a small part of me has died or something. I HAVE NO PLACE LEFT TO HIDE! He’s so cute, too, when he climbs out of bed and wanders into my bedroom asking for me in the pitch black of 7 am. “Da-da?” When he finds me, he pulls the covers off and places his cold little hands right on my face. That is what increased pressure and diminishing freedom feels like.

2 comments:

Sox said...

I call it "suicide watch".
And I lock Tiger in his room, it took six months, but now he actually stays in bed when you put him there instead of attempting to open the door for 5 minutes and crying about it for 10 more.

The Boohers said...

We used the child door handle covers to block Enoch from escape, then he learned how to unlatch it (so much for child-proof). So now we just lock ourselves in our room so that we can sleep through the night. We just pray he won't figure out the deadbolt anytime soon, so he doesn't end up on the streets.